Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Japanese Internment

http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/learning_history/japanese_internment/internment_menu.cfm
This is a link to an oral history on the Japanese experience during their Internment (click the link at the top of the page) and the cultural mentality that allowed for it to happen. It shows how Japanese were vilified in the media, by politicians, in the law and even features songs similar to the ones that we read about.  Listening to the piece, I was reminded very much of what is going on with Mexican immigration. Especially how they were initially welcomed as cheap labor, then demonized in pop culture when the US needed a scapegoat during a war and hard financial times. I also found comparison with today's vilification of Arab immigrants and Americans.

Discussion:
 (1987) (1981)(1971)(1967)
I also found these Time covers (although they all pre-date 1990) that I think highlight the "Fu Manchu" fear that Americans had of Asians. Do you see a resemblance to any of Lee's Six Asian stereotypes?  Do you think we have a new "Fu Manchu"- type figure in our society today? If so, what group?


No comments: