Thursday, September 11, 2008

Before Reading Orientals

Before reading Lee's "Orientals," I was trying to remember/think of any "yellow face" or just any negative depictions of the Asian race in the media. Does anyone remember the picture of the Spanish men's and women's olympic basketball team posing with their hands pulling back their eyelids to give their eyes a slanted look?

Above is the picture I am referring to and below is a link to one article discussing the Spanish picture scandal:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/aug/11/olympicsbasketball.olympics20081

Isn't that a wonderful way to say thank you the host nation? I am still confused as to what prompted this picture especially when China trained their own people to clap for opposing nations who might be in need of fan support. (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/olympics/1043518,cheer070708.stng). The article is right to say that it further draws attention racial problems in Spain as well as guaranteeing that Spain won't be playing host to the olympics any time soon.

1 comment:

Matt Delmont said...

I'm glad you posted this Neena. I saw it on espn.com during the Olympics, but it seemed to fly under the radar. It is outrageous that they took this picture...really hard to figure out what they were thinking.