Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Some Psychology and a Discussion Question

I'd like to add a thought to our discussion at the end of class today, and then I'll ask my discussion question. We discussed whether being politically correct is the best way to deal with the bad parts of our collective history. I immediately thought about psychology researchers who found that while it's (generally) socially unacceptable to be outwardly racist, most Americans are "aversive racists" and unconsciously harbor racist sentiments (for example, less eye contact with those of other races). Interestingly enough, they found that those who admitted racial prejudice worked better in mixed-race group situations than those who were unknowingly racist. (Let me know if you'd like the citation!) This study provides a social science backing for the idea that people should openly admit fault and move on, rather than to strive for political correctness. So, my discussion question is: in what ways can we come to terms with our past (and present) racist sentiments and actions, such as blackface minstrelsy, and put them behind us in order to create a more positive, accepting future?

1 comment:

Matt Delmont said...

Thanks Liz. I hope that we'll return to this question later in the semester.