So while we've already begun to discuss the historical context in "Going Native" in class, I'm also really interested in the contemporary applications of this concept. Just as Huhndorf finds deep cultural significance in children playing "Cowboys and Indians", I think that examining children's games and entertainment is a great way to understand more about the ideology of a culture. Particularly in more recent American generations, I see a strong socialization of children through movies, particularly Disney movies, which affected many generations of children for decades.
And so I turn to one of the classics: Peter Pan. Most of us probably even remember this scene, in which the white Lost Boys (as well as the British Darling children, Wendy, Michael, and John) are seated with the Indians of Neverland, who they call the"Red Man". This is a perfect example of going native: the white children all paint their faces and don headgear with feathers, and join in a tribal dance and song, while inquiring the "Red Man" about why he's red (yeah, I know). See for yourself:
A couple interesting discussion questions arise out of this clip. Note that Wendy is unable to join in the celebrations because she is a woman (or a "squaw"), how does this add on to our discussion today about "going native" being a traditionally masculine practice? Also note that Tiger Lily, Peter Pan's love interest, appears to be white, while the rest of her tribe is of a blatantly red skintone. How are the Native American love interests portrayed in films, are they often Europeanized?Conveniently enough, Tiger Lily and Peter can never really marry or reproduce, because he will always be a boy. Peter can "go native" when he chooses, and then return to his haven with the white Lost Boys. The Darling children also enjoy a fantastical moment of "native" experience, but will inevitably return to London and "civilized" society; There they will grow up, and move on from their childish fascination with the "Red Man". How do you think this widely spread image of kids going native affects children and their perception of culture and Native Americans?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Just to add to what was already said, I think it's also interesting that, while Wendy originally wanted to join in, she later is amazed and scandalized that John and Michael have 'gone native', seemingly upset by the very idea. I think this portrayal of Wendy ties in with the idea that, not only was it socially unacceptable for woman to go native, it was even more unacceptable for them to WANT to go native. Since a woman's place was in the home, supporting their husband and children, for them to show any dissatisfaction with their life would be an attack on patriarchy. Patriarchal society has always been protective of their 'woman folk' so for a woman to choose the 'native' way of life over the one that has been set up for them would seem an affront to their male providers.
Very good example and analysis. I checked IMDB and it looks like the the animated Peter Pan is 1953.
Post a Comment