Hi All,
Costner's Oscar Acceptance Speech
Not much of a speech in my opinion from the man whose film, as Huhndorf notes, "the movie industry claimed with pride, was original, Hollywood's first successful attempt to render justice to these Indians through Costner's sympathetic telling of their proud history" (3).
Additionally, in Going Native Huhndorf comments, accurately, that America is "a nation born from the genocide of Native peoples and built on slave labor..." (23). This interpretation is a bit different than what I, and I suspect many of you, were taught in elementary school. I remember being taught that America was built by the Pilgrims with the help of their Native American friends and at some point during all of this settling they all sat down and celebrated the first Thanksgiving. Here's Eddie Izzard's comedic take on the Puritans settling in Plymouth: From Plymouth to Plymouth.
Enjoy,
Lauran
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment