Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Expo Magic of the White City: 1893 Chicago World's Fair
I found some clips from a documentary made about the Chicago World's Fair on youtube. Unfortunately the whole documentary isn't posted (I think it was put up as a marketing ploy by the company) but I think the few clips posted are really insightful, specifically in the language used by the narrator (Gene Wilder, yes, it's dated) and by the things left unsaid. The Midway itself isn't really brought up (aside from as a place of revelry and fun), but what I was really struck by was the emphasis placed on brotherhood and peace among nations and people, which seemed pretty ironic. It is also interesting as a 'modern' perspective on the past and especially as an example of the way we re-write history and romanticize its events.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment