http://www.thefrisky.com/2013-09-09/tyra-banks-tries-whiteface-to-pay-homage-to-her-fellow-model-idols/
When I saw these images of Tyra Banks, my mind drifted back to Omi and Winants argument about whether or not a particular project can or cannot be racist. Though Tyra is receiving a lot of backlash for donning what is being termed "white face" However, I began to wonder if by Omi and Winant's definition that this display of images by Tyra can truly be racist as they do not reproduce structures of domination in my personal opinion. That being said I can understand why some are uncomfortable with images such as these, and many people are citing this example and comparing it to black face which is in fact commonly seen as a very racist act. What I have deduced however is that these images of Tyra are not in fact "white face" but rather could be simply seen as harnessing some form of prejudice.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment