Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Huston


In the Omi & Winant readings they bring up the idea of ‘color-blindness’ as a way to deal with a persons’ race. They put forward that when one deals with people, meeting them for the first time or interacting with a person they are trained, or try to act like they are trained, not to care what race that person is. You do not see the color of a person’s skin, usually the first noticeable indicator to a person’s race, but instead you see them as ‘gray’ or an equal.  I thought that this ‘color-blindness’ is best displayed at an EDM concert or rave. In attending a few events like this myself I have been able to witness the mentality that comes along with these particular kinds of events, one of pure acceptance for whoever you are. Any size, shape, color, gender, any person is accepted and treated like an equal at these concerts. I think that people are not necessarily becoming ‘color blind’ to the types of people they see around them at a rave but instead realize that there is something bigger going and would rather take part in that then to let ‘color blindness’ prevent them from seeing  what is going on. I think that ‘color blindness’, when used in any situation, is actually detracting from that persons true beauty by covering it with your own personal mask of what they should be.
--Huston

No comments: