"Little is known about Sierra Leone and how it connects to the diamonds we own" -Kanye West
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgqd80026xU
I'm posting Kanye's "Diamonds From Sierra Leone." I think this music video is an interesting addition to our discussion of hip-hop/rap and political consciousness. Kanye doesn't raise consciousness about the problems in the United States, gangs, racial discrimination, etc., but highlights a world issue. It's interesting that the video is shot in Prague (Sierra Leone??) - what does this do to the feeling of place in the music video? It also has imagery used purely for shock value. While I support Kanye for trying to raise global consciousness, I don't see people curbing their use of diamonds (especially in engagement rings) after watching this video...
While most recent rap music videos fall into a category criticized of most of the essayists in the book (Mumia Abu-Jamal calls this rap "corporationism that transforms rap's grittiness into the gutter of materialism - a woman, a living being, reminds a man of a thing, a car" (23)), how does "politically conscious" contemporary rap, or even rock, affect American's understanding of national and world issues? Even in the case of the "Rock the Vote" campaign - do you all think that campaign worked (or has worked in the past), or did younger Americans just need an inspirational candidate before they would show up to the polls?
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment