Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The Daytime/Primetime Divide: Diversity on Television

In the last few weeks and months, likely due to the shade cast on Lorne Michaels and the executive team for Saturday Night Live for their lack of diversity, several news outlets and blogging sites have been giving their own feedback and illuminating the differences between daytime and nighttime television. Many are saying that while shows like Saturday Night Live, and primetime dramas and comedies suffer for the absence of characters of color, daytime television provides a platform where entertainers and personalities of color can actually thrive. It's interesting that morning talk shows (aside from, not surprisingly, Good Morning America), programs that are quite obviously geared towards women and seem to be made up of mostly women panels, have become one of the more diverse sights to be seen on television.
Now, I just can't keep up with what seems to be the revolving door panelists on The View (though I do remember catching a few episodes some years ago and sensing some pretty heavy-handed overtones about the "spice" that Sherri Shepherd was adding to the dais. However, I can observe that other shows, ones that continue to grow in ratings and popularity, like The Talk feature significantly more women of color- and as far as I can tell they actually address their stories as women of color.
Here's Julie Chen of The Talk discussing her plastic surgery following an agent telling her that he could not represent her unless she somehow found a way to make her eyes look bigger.

Here is an Entertainment Weekly article discussing Chen's revelation about her surgery, as well as the broader topic of diversity in daytime television. In it, author Lynette Rice offers that "five of the 10 most popular shows in daytime so far this fall (Live! With Kelly and MichaelTodayThe ViewThe Talk, and The Chew) are multiethnic."
Another daytime talk show actually featured an entire panel of women of color, called The Real. The show was cancelled just last month, but before that it was praised for more properly reflecting the American television-watching population (ratings among African -American viewers shot up significantly after most hosts of color started appearing) and for testing the boundaries of pop culture and addressing topics that are often considered taboo--which seems like a victory on both the raced and gendered aspects of television programming. That article can be found here.
So obviously this is a good thing. Multiethnicity on daytime television is thriving and it's making people excited to watch these shows. 
So. Why is primetime television suffering? Why has a black woman never won an Emmy? What is about this talk show format that is making diversity in casting seem so easy? What strikes me about these talk shows that feature panelists of color is that they tend to talk about more interesting and provocative things, things that haven't been discussed so plainly on the air before. So why are the people in development for these nighttime programs not moving towards a lineup that is more diverse? I don't have an answer, exactly, and obviously there is a difference between scripted primetime shows and outlined daytime shows. But these talk shows have smaller budgets, lower stakes, and maybe television executives don't think people are really paying attention to them. But the casting differences between daytime and nighttime television is huge, and people have definitely noticed.

2 comments:

Jacqueline Freedman said...

I wanted to focus on the contents of the clip shown for the show The Real, mainly because I have read articles regarding the diversity of the hosts, but I had never seen any of the content. Maybe it is just the cut of the clip, but neither the panel nor Chen herself fully questions her decision to have this surgery. The panel says with her ‘new’ eyes she looks "fabulous" and "more expressive" and that she made a choice that was good for her. Chen recognizes that because of this surgery, she was able to get more career opportunities in the industry, but why does this have to be for the most part a positive example? There is very little remorse or regret, which is evidenced by Chen when she states, " I don’t’ like to live with regrets. I did it I moved on. No one is more comfortable with being Chinese than I am." But is she really comfortable being Chinese, is she really comfortable with her cosmetic surgery? Because she isn’t truly representing Chinese people because she Americanized her eyes.

This show is addressing a very large problem in the implementation of Western culture on other cultures and her story should stand as a lesson, not merely a pat on the back saying you did what you had to do and you “represented your people, your race” and “don’t look back.” This stands as an example of where a show pinpoints an important cultural problem within beauty ideals, but doesn’t follow through. I definitely will be looking at more clips in the future from The Real to see if they do more to question rather than vaguely scrape the surface.

Jacqueline Freedman said...

I found the full clip and it does give more of a backstory which definitely is helpful, but the conclusion is still the same: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxdRowZtXgw