http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/11/craig-cobb-white-supremacist-black_n_4256360.html
I found this video really compelling when I stumbled upon it earlier this morning. Particularly since it reminded me of the Dave Chappelle's Show popular sketch which the aforementioned made mention to but in case you've been hiding under a rock, here's the link to that sketch:
http://www.snotr.com/video/3726/Dave_Chappelle. Perhaps I found the Huffington Post, so compelling because it makes me uncomfortable. While I feel that the humor displayed in the Dave Chappelle piece is successful, I feel that the one's displayed on the Huffington piece was not.
This raises the question for me about what can be said about using humor as a mechanism for trying to undermine the stereotypes. I feel that since the Chapelle piece are so over the top it's easier to view it as a caricature which seeks to break down stereotypes and therefore overall prejudices. However, the humor used in the Huffington Post piece only seeks to perpetuate stereotypes that are already present in the black community. For example, the perpetuating the idea that some people are "blacker" than others "He's 14% Sub Saharan Africa, that's like super black." which alludes to the fact that since people are more black simply because of the amount of melanin their skins is ludicrous. Especially because of the whole "light skin" vs. "dark skin" debate in the black community. Furthermore, the fist bump when the supremacist is declared to be black is awkward and unnecessary. Perhaps I was reading too much into it but it just rang false for me.
Additionally, I was confused as to why this was considered the be "greatest moment in TV." Not only was little to no background about the supremacist but also I was confused as to why only this portion of the clip was included in the piece to talk about and analyze it. I wondered why they didn't give more context and just the whole framework surrounding it bothered me. What do you guys think? Do you have a different reaction to either of the clips?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Interesting video. I wish there was more background on this guy and on his reaction. I find myself asking a lot of questions. For what reasons did he agree to be on this show? Does the knowledge that he is 14% sub-saharan african change the way he relates to his ideology of white supremacy? Should it? The Chappelle Show skit is interesting to mention as well, funny but sad.
Post a Comment