Monday, October 5, 2009

Rock 'n' Roll = White Music?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tEFR98zt-c

This clip is from a documentary called "Skinhead Attitude" which was released in 2003 on the French and German TV channel "arte". It deals with the conflict between anti-fascist and racist skinheads in various European cities as well as the US and Canada. As music a major role in these subcultures, it focuses a lot on the music they play and listen to.

In the clip I chose, I want you to focus on the interview with a Swedish neo-Nazi (starts at 4:46) who first claims that Techno music is a reaction "against the ethnical influence in the music" and then talks about his band which plays only "plain Rock 'n' Roll". Oviously, this guy has no idea what he is talking about and blaims the government and democracy for his personal frustration and losses.

I have the impression that this nazi guy is not the only one who thinks that Rock 'n' Roll is typically white music and I was wondering what the reasons for this might be. I came to the conclusion that they lie in its roots and its development because it came from two contrary styles of music. Of course, listening to early Rock 'n' Roll songs, you can hear both influences, but it were white musicians like Elvis who made more money and were more popular to a mainstream audience. In the 50s, this can be ascribed to the racism that was going on, but when you take a look at today's popular American and European rock bands and audiences, you will find that most of them are white whereas the audience in R'n'B concerts is predominantly black.

My questions for you would be

- Why don't many people know/acknowledge the real origins of Rock 'n' Roll?
- Why is there still a division in popular music?

No comments: