Monday, August 25, 2008

Tropic Thunder still tops at box office

Tropic Thunder, a satire of Hollywood that follows the making of a fictional Vietnam war movie, was the top grossing film for the second week in a row. It's cumulative box office for two weeks is $65.7 million.


The movie is especially interesting for this course because Robert Downey Jr. plays a present-day Australian actor who undergoes a procedure to darken his skin in order to more authentically portray an African-American solider in Vietnam. I found his performance more clever than offensive, because it is satirizing Hollywood and representations of black "authenticity," rather than mocking African-American people. Other critics have described the film at the more direct descendant of blackface minstrelsy. Check out this Salon.com article and the reader's comments. This Slate video also several clips of blackface performances in other films:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went to see tropic thunder with my sister and it was a really cool experience because our fellow movie- goers were majority african american.
My sister and I both watched and waited for reactions, and the top reaction was laughter.

I laughed a couple of times. I could see the humor in robert downey jr's character... a parody of a method actor... yet it has been 3 weeks and I have yet to make sense of it. I really don't know what to say overall. I may need to see it a couple of times more.

Anonymous said...

Also- my sister said Robert Downey Jr would make a really hot black man... so there's that.