Monday, November 2, 2009

Heroism & Resentment after 9/11

In the conclusion of Epic Encounters, McAlister writes about the changing connotations of the American flag:

"Later, the flag was often connected to support for the war in Afghanistan - those "calling cards" left by soldiers in Afghanistan turned the photo of the firemen and the flag into a symbol of war as revenge" (McAlister 274).

I remember how many countries (including Germany where I come from) supported the war in Afghanistan and how many people in my country felt exactly the same way when they were watching the picture of the firemen. And I remember some very scary clips that were circulating in the internet by the time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWD7iw_1M0Q

Many people found this youtube clip extremely funny and justifiable. I think, the reasons for this lie in all the pictures that represented Americans as "the good" and people from the Middle East (in this case Afghanistan) as "evil". These representations were extremely powerful and with them came the fear of other terrorist attacks. In the little clip, you can only see Bush, Powell, and Bin Laden and these three people represent two countries or even the West and the Middle East. None of the people from the West who watched this clip and liked it thought about Afghan civilians who have nothing to do with the Taliban and nobody seemed to care for their lives.

How would you explain videos like this?
Do you think it is okay because the clip only features Bin Laden as the leader of the terrorists and not Afghanistan and its people as a whole?

1 comment:

Liz Gorrell said...

I do think that this clip is problematic, mainly because bin Laden has come to be THE representative for Afghanistan. In popular culture and media, bin Laden embodies the Middle East. All other cartoons, characters, and images seem to be derived from him or from a template for American fear. So, I don't believe that we can explain or rationalize this video by saying, "it's ok, we were only taking about bin Laden." Osama bin Laden has become a representation of the Middle East, and it is a representation that has been played so many times in popular culture that it is now impossible to separate them.